Friday, November 14, 2008

Adoption a Second Choice??

In our society, it is assumed you have infertility problems if you are adopting a child. This assumption leads many people to make comments suggesting that adoption is a second choice for a family.

I do know of quite a few families that have chosen to adopt rather than conceive a child.

We are not one of those families. We assumed we would have biological children. Like many, we never felt there would be a problem conceiving a child the "natural" way.

Turns out that wasn't "the plan".

We didn't follow many of the paths often taken for infertility treatments. We moved on to "plan B", adoption.

Does it naturally become a second choice because it is Plan B? Does it mean our children are any less than biological children would be to us?

The answer would be NO because....

With God as part of the equation, there is never a second choice. It is His first choice. His plan A for our family. It was NEVER in His plan for us to have a biological child.

It is not for me to ask Why. The Bible tells us "For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. "
Jeremiah 29:10-12

Would I have known the plans God has for me if we hadn't struggled with infertility? Peanut and Bug would not be OUR children. And they could not be any more OUR children had we "birthed" these 2 Munchkins.

There is no possibility my family is a second choice. I have hope and my children have a future and I can't wait to see His plans continue to unfold.

No comments: