Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Sparkles

Munchkin #3 was quite full of energy during our first afternoon together. We were back to the hotel by 2pm or so and he was bouncing off the walls, actually he really was bouncing off the bed! So we headed to the pool where he bounced off the water and us for awhile!



When we were done swimming, we ordered room service and that turned out to be a very wise decision. Our sweet son didn't make it through dinner. While we were starting to eat I noticed he wasn't looking at the table/his plate, he was trying to turn the other way. He had started crying. Mama swooped him up while Daddy got his two crocheted dolls he had brought with and his new blanket from us. He fell asleep within 15 minutes or so, cradled in my arms.

We have had many fun moments since that first night. As expected, there are times when our son is withdrawn or quieter. It is hard at times to relay what we are doing or where we are going which I am sure makes it more worrisome for him. We have spent alot of time at the hotel. He loves to swim and the minute we get back from somewhere he is immediately signing and asking Mama if we can go swimming. It is one of the only times he initiates anything with Mama, so off we go!

We did make it to the Grand Palace/Emerald Buddha. It was incredibly hot and Munchkin #3 got very weak and shaky. We left rather quickly. It was an incredible place to visit.




Such a contrast to so many other parts of Bangkok, it is hard to take in or understand. As we were leaving there was a young woman dressed in a short skirt arguing with one of the guards/soldier. She was refusing to put on pants to cover her legs. While I may not understand the reasons for the displays of gold and jewels, it is part of the country I am visiting. (Never mind my son's birth country!) I am a VISITOR here. IMO we need to respect the customs another country holds if we are choosing to spend time there. Whether we agree or not! Worse, I am quite sure this woman was an American. If I hadn't been so hot and worried about my son I would have stopped and spoken to this woman. My hubby says it was a good thing I didn't. ;))

Big post coming tomorrow on our visit back to the orphanage to visit his friends and take lots of pics!


6 comments:

Ellie said...

It's so great to hear your stories!!! I'm thrilled for you and your little "munchkin #3"!

Jannell said...

So great to get info through the e-mail! Didn't even know you had gotten to finally go! So happy for you all. God bless.
Scotts

Nichole and Craig said...

Thanks for the update. I have sending best wishes for a safe and happy journey your way.

Kam said...

Yippee! I'm LOVING reading all about your son and your amazing trip! Hope everything is going well for you!

Kelly said...

I'm hoping your son is able to ease through the grieving process - I know you will give him all of the support he needs. Hug him up. Can't wait for the next installment.

Holly said...

the palace looks beautiful. i hope he starts wanting momma more